How To Manage DNS settings with the Google Fiber app?
|Google Fiber app
You can use the Google Fiber app to customize your network's DNS settings.
To manage your DNS settings:
- launch Fiber app
- click Network .
- click Edit Network Settings
- click Advanced Network Settings
- click DNS
- To customize your DNS settings, tap the Define custom servers switch.
- Enter up to 3 DNS server addresses.
- To enable Dynamic DNS, use the Service Provider menu to choose a service provider.
Google Fiber DNS
How To Configure dynamic DNS for Google fiber DNS?
Sign in to Google Fiber using the email and password you use for your account.
Select Network at the top-left corner.
In the settings pane, click Advanced; then click DNS.
The Google Fiber network assigns IP addresses to devices when they connect. These IP addresses are generally unpredictable and subject to change. If you want to host a service such as FTP or SSH on your network, use the DNS advanced settings to set up Dynamic DNS for the hostname, so outside consumers of the service can still access it when your host IP address changes.
How To configure Dynamic DNS?
- Select the name of your Dynamic DNS provider from the Service provider drop-down menu.
- Enter or modify the username for your Dynamic DNS account.
- Enter or modify the password for your Dynamic DNS account.
- Enter the domain or hostname for the service you want to host.
- Click Apply.
How To stop using the Dynamic DNS service?
Select None for Service in the Dynamic DNS section of the DNS tab.
DNS Name resolution
When an outgoing request is sent from your network, the Network Box must find the IP address that corresponds to the domain name in the request. It contacts a DNS server to do this. If the DNS server does not know the mapping, the Network Box contacts the next DNS server in the hierarchy, and so on, until an IP address is found or the Network Box has checked all DNS servers in its list.
By default, the Network Box uses DNS servers specified by Google, but you can override this.
How To use Google-selected DNS servers for name resolution?
Click Automatic for DNS servers.
Click Apply to start using Google-selected DNS servers.
How To specify custom DNS servers to use for name resolution?
Select Custom for DNS Servers.
Enter the IP addresses of up to three DNS servers in the DNS server fields, in the order in which you want the Network Box to contact; then click Apply.